At VIA Rail Canada, our mission is to reimagine the Canadian journey by creating smarter ways to travel. VIA Rail is a major Canadian player in the transport industry and strongly believes that travel should be an easy, sustainable and enjoyable experience that meets the individual needs and preferences of today’s and tomorrow’s passengers.
In the spirit of transformation, our values of innovation, trust and agility are even more important and guide all our actions.
VIA Rail strives to constantly outdo ourselves as we create a safe and unique travel experience across Canada.
Manage the Mechanical Services Training activities, in particular the Apprenticeship program.
Use his/her technical expertise in order to design and deliver training modules on technical and safety topics, process requests, components and product changes, while providing the link between Training, Technical Services, Engineering and Maintenance Centers.
Manage the Mechanical Services Apprenticeship programs by:
- Evaluating training needs
- Developing training content
- Developing individual developmental plans
- Assessing the students’ progression
- Managing apprentices’ training/learning path
- Delivering technical training modules
- Planning & coordinating training activities
- Coaching and advising supervisors and coaches
- Motivating and encouraging apprentices
Research, analyse the effectiveness and pertinence, design, plan, coordinate and/or deliver training programs, such as:
- Certification and recertification processes as per Transport Canada regulations (Locomotive and Car Inspectors, CROR).
- Technical courses
- Health & Safety mandatory courses
- Notice of change (NOC’s), new procedures, component and product changes, technical topics
- Corporate mandatory courses.
Provide technical support for post-implementation of new equipment and product changes assuring the link between Learning & Development, Technical Services, Engineering and Maintenance Centers.
Assist in development, support and follow-up of modifications.
Assist the Sr. Advisor, Apprenticeship Program & Training & Sr. Manager, Equipment Maintenance in activities, such as post training activities, coaching, tracking reports, administrative duties, etc.
- Diesel Mechanical, Heavy Duty Mechanic, Electrical diploma or equivalent
- Deep knowledge on locomotive or car components on rolling stock
- Deep knowledge of Maintenance operations and procedures
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role or equivalent experience
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Must be available to flexible schedule and travel
- Experience in training and coaching.
• Very strong interpersonal and communication skills verbal and written in English with the ability to develop and articulate vision, lead change and sell ideas
• Well-informed of best practices in his/her field of expertise and shares knowledge
• A good team player, guide team and colleagues to meet the needs of internal partners
• Autonomous, able to work under distance/little supervision
• Excellent organizational skills in order to manage multiple and simultaneous needs, set priorities and allocate time effectively to meet deadlines.