You will be responsible for all horizontal and vertical infrastructure projects assigned to you. Positions will be based out of Toronto. You will work on both small- and large-scale multiyear projects ($100k to in excess of $25M), including the design and construction of maintenance centres. You will be involved in all project phases, from conception thru to implementation and commissioning . You will be responsible for defining and planning projects, including determining the scope of work, budget and schedule. You will also identify and elect consultants, plan and coordinate multiple projects, recommend work methods, determine and negotiate required approvals, award contracts to support the Procurement department, coordinate required internal and external communications, monitor the progress of construction, draft progress reports, and perform any other required duties related to infrastructure projects. You will occasionally be required to collaborate with federal and provincial governmental agencies to understand the requirements of stakeholders and to negotiate as needed.
You will also be required to support and mentor other project managers at specific stages by offering your technical expertise, reviewing plans and quotes and/or sitting on the selection committee for requests for qualifications (RFQ) and proposals (RFP).
In a broader sense, you will participate in planning and building the real estate portfolio as a whole. You will recommend innovative ways to improve the efficiency of projects and develop partnerships to optimize project execution and the development and creation of the real estate portfolio.
As Senior Project Manager, you will be responsible for executing projects while working in a matrix organizational structure. You will be required to adhere to the company policies and procedures and will be supported by the Procurement, Legal and Communications departments, among others.
Main roles and responsibilities:
• Ensure that the launch, planning, supervision, monitoring, execution and closing of assigned projects are handled with precision and in compliance with VIA Rail standards;
• Work with external legal counsel to develop custom commercial contracts, as well as resolve disputes with Contractors;
• Determine and closely monitor the scope, budgetary and financial forecasts, deadlines, dependencies, risks and problems associated with each project;
• Manage and negotiate contracts and manage suppliers;
• Act as the main resource person for the client, users and stakeholders;
• Conduct compliance reviews and inspections and meet regularly with consultants and contractors;
• Ensure that all worksite activities comply with VIA Rail’s safety and environmental requirements and applicable laws and regulations;
• Prepare progress reports on assigned projects and internal reports for VIA Rail and attend follow-up meetings;
• Lead investigations in the event of property damage, accidents or delays to ensure compliance with VIA Rail policy and manage claims as needed;
• Use project management tools (MS Project / EPM 2010) to plan and analyze parameters and data;
• Determine potential risks and problems related to projects by using forecasting tools;
• Supervise resources and realign the focus of the team, and regularly assess the team’s performance to identify gaps and appropriate corrective measures
• PMP certification and strong theoretical and practical knowledge of the PMBOK method (an asset);
•10 to 15 years of experience of relevant experience;
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Building Sciences, or Engineering, and experience in infrastructure project management;
• Professional designation in Architecture or Engineering in the Province of Ontario and/or Quebec or an equivalent organization;
• Ability to travel regularly around Canada (to Montréal, Toronto, etc.);
• Independence and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Communicating the specific needs of the project and organization and align them with project requirements;
• Maintaining harmonious relationships with all stakeholders;
• Work collaboratively with Railways, Utilities, as well as Municipal and Provincial authorities having jurisdiction.
• Experience in rail transit infrastructure design, procurement, and execution.
• Communicating project objectives to team members, including project controllers, and leading them to success;
• Supervising and coordinating the work of others;
• Sufficient technical knowledge to comment on plans and quotes;
• Establishing a common vision, a clear direction and well-defined priorities;
• Setting and monitoring budgets, following up on them, analyzing discrepancies and implementing action plans as needed.