VIA Rail is in the midst of a remarkable transformation striving to become the smarter way to travel for Canadians. As a rapidly modernizing Crown corporation, our values of innovation, trust and agility are even more important and represent the guiding force behind all our actions. Our new tagline, Love the Way, is a reflection of what makes train travel unique. We hope to encourage more and more Canadians to rediscover the joy of travel and thus contribute to a better future economically, socially and environmentally.
To get there, we are relying on the lifeblood of our company: our employees. The quality of the personalized customer experience they deliver day after day sets us apart in the transportation industry.
You are a professional with expert knowledge in internal communications. You are resourceful, thoughtful, and you want to join a team of genuine and committed people. Under the head of Business Communications, you will play a crucial role in creating innovative communications strategies to support VIA Rail’s organizational transformation and major project development
Your responsibilities include:
1. Devising and implementing internal communications strategies to promote the company’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan in order to engage a diverse workforce. Aligning communications practices and procedures to support the company’s cultural evolution and the changes it implies.
2. Developing dynamic ways to keep employees informed of the company’s activities, particularly in regard to modernization projects.
3. Reviewing the company’s existing tools and internal channels to adapt them to our employee’s needs and day-to-day operations.
4. Aligning and ensuring consistency between internal and external content to strengthen the company’s brand identity and maintain its relevance with employees.
5. Promoting employee advocacy/activism by designing approaches centred on content-rich participative storytelling (developing an editorial approach, suggesting, writing, adapting and editing content).
6. With partners such as the human resources and marketing teams, developing communications approaches to promote complex initiatives and projects (recruitment, employee experience, employment branding, etc.).
7. Staying abreast of communications tools and information distribution channels on the market, as well as industry best practices pertaining to employee engagement to optimize strategic approaches, message content and message reach.
8. Designing, planning and supervising the organization of major events to promote employee engagement and recognize employee accomplishments.
9. Supporting the agile, proactive and personalized communication approach currently being developed to better meet internal client (unit/sector) needs.
10. Optimizing and developing indicators to measure the impact of internal communications strategies in terms of employee understanding and engagement to recalibrate messages as needed.
As a senior professional, you are able to:
1. Act as a resource person for your co-workers and peers
2. Communicate effectively with stakeholders at any level in the organization
3. Act as an agent of change ready to debate, defend and persuade others of the best approach that should be adopted by project management teams and upper management
4. Leverage your ability to maintain and collaborate with internal networks to obtain their involvement and support in projects/initiatives you are leading
5. Initiate significant changes in your own department
6. Shake up the status quo and take calculated risks to spark and promote changes to business priorities, while demonstrating good judgment and commitment
7. Leverage influence to hold coworkers accountable
8. Maintain integrity at all times
Your ideal profile:
• A university degree in communications or any related field (master’s degree an asset)
• Organizational and planning skills
• 10 years of experience in internal communications (digital communications experience an asset)
• Experience in communication in the context of an organisational transformation
• Excellent knowledge of social media
• Excellent oral and written knowledge of English and/or French (bilingualism is required)
• Excellent writing skills in English and/or French
• Ability to manage several priorities at the same time and remain calm under pressure
• Ability to present and argue ideas
• Aptitude for analysis, synthesis and conceptualization
• Team spirit
• Initiative, independence, curiosity, creativity and flexibility
• Good sense of organization and planning
• Attention to detail and precision
• Proven talent and experience in crisis management
• Advanced knowledge of Office 360.
• Willingness to travel within Canada occasionally
• Willingness to work some nights and weekends