Job Title :
On Train Service Attendant (food service) - Toronto
Reference Number :
Permanent - Full time
Job Category :
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate :
Number of positions to be filled :
Application Deadline :
At VIA Rail Canada, our mission is to reimagine the Canadian journey by creating smarter ways to travel. VIA Rail is a major Canadian player in the transport industry and strongly believes that travel should be an easy, sustainable and enjoyable experience that meets the individual needs and preferences of today’s and tomorrow’s passengers. In the spirit of transformation, our values of innovation, trust and agility are even more important and guide all our actions.
Growing ridership and ongoing transformation projects mean that VIA Rail is seeking a number of on-board service attendants. This position plays a leading role—our service attendants have the most visibility with passengers as they deliver the customer experience. From the first point of contact, your responsibility is to ensure that each passenger feels welcome and will look forward to repeating the unique experience that sets VIA Rail apart.
We are seeking 24 candidates who are passionate about working with the public and want to make a career in the customer service industry. Working on board our trains is much more than just a full-time job—it’s a lifestyle in which you are constantly in motion and interacting with people from all walks of life. Your professionalism, team spirit and interpersonal skills will be called upon in all kinds of circumstances, as each trip is unique.
Your mission includes the following:
• ACCOMPANY OUR PASSENGERS ON THEIR JOURNEY: Travel with our passengers from Toronto to Windsor, Niagara and Montréal.
• BE A CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE AMBASSADOR: Provide professional and consistent service according to the defined standards.
• ENSURE SAFETY AND WELL-BEING ON BOARD: Explain and implement safety measures and put your training into practice in emergency situations as needed.
• DELIVER SERVICE EXCELLENCE: Sell and serve meals and beverages (including meat and alcohol) with a smile.
• PAY ATTENTION TO THE SMALL STUFF: Ensure that work areas, restrooms and bedrooms are kept clean and maintained during trips, assist with baggage as needed, etc.
As we serve our customers 365 days a year, we rely on the availability of our Service Attendants:
• Variable, on-call schedules including weekends and holidays (bonuses for statutory holidays)
• Minimum of 160 hours per month (with some possible variations)
• Travel away from home on each trip (one to three days)
• Average annualized earnings of $50,000 for the first year with salary increases according to the compensation agreement.
• Comprehensive and competitive benefits package in a safe and dynamic work environment
Come work with a passionate and collaborative team in a unique industry!
VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail is a military friendly employer.
• Hold a high school diploma
• Communicate with a smile in English and in French (spoken only)
• Have at least one year of experience in a position serving the public
• Meet the physical requirements of the position
• Successfully complete the five-week training program ($14.00/hour salary during training)
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.