At VIA Rail Canada, our mission is to reimagine the Canadian journey by creating smarter ways to travel. VIA Rail is a major Canadian player in the transport industry and strongly believes that travel should be an easy, sustainable and enjoyable experience that meets the individual needs and preferences of today’s and tomorrow’s passengers. In the spirit of transformation, our values of innovation, trust and agility are even more important and guide our actions.
Our Maintenance Department, responsible for the maintenance and inspection of our trains, is facing an exciting future. With a new fleet on the horizon, changing demographics of our workforce and several projects on the go, our maintenance centers are undergoing a transformation. In this spirit of transformation, the role of Manager, Maintenance & Servicing will help optimizing the effectiveness of our teams on the shop floor that work 365 days a year 24 hours a day, to ensure the reliability of our trains and the success of our operations.
We are currently seeking a Manager, Maintenance & Servicing, located in Toronto. As such, you are responsible for managing supervisors and shop floor employees of the maintenance/servicing teams, to deliver passenger equipment as per the train plan, in accordance with the requirements of the production plan. Through your mobilizing leadership, you will act as a change agent and lead your teams through challenging and exciting changes in a continuous improvement approach.
Your mandate will include the following exciting challenges:
• Manage production to meet availability requirements of passengers/maintenance/servicing/car and other assigned workloads in accordance to VIA Rail prescribed standards, methods and budgets.
MANAGING QUALITY AND EFFICIENCY:
• Manage the quality of work produced and comply to processes as defined in the current departmental quality and environmental programs.
• Manage the effective use of material and resources required to execute the assigned maintenance/servicing/car management activities.
• Provide managerial leadership and coaching to develop and enhance skills of employees and promote a cohesive working relationship amongst management, team members, union representatives and clients.
• Identify, implement and manage performance improvements and objectives of supervisors.
PROMOTING HEALTH AND SAFETY:
• Manage and promote a working environment conducive to the prevention of loss (occupational safety and health, overtime, absenteeism, productivity, corporate assets, material waste and environmental compliance).
• Actively participate in lowering risks and incidents related to health and safety to meet targets.
• Act as a cross functional process leader of your activities throughout VIA Rail. Foster a culture of continuous improvement.
• Identify and manage operational performance improvements to augment VIA’s efficiency (productivity, quality, responsiveness).
• Lead initiatives to identify and implement process and/or technological improvements.
• 5-10 years experience in a leadership role, railway experience and experience managing in a unionized environment preferred.
• bilingualism in French and English is an asset.
• Familiar with Transport Canada Railway regulations is an asset.
• Continuous Improvement experience is an asset.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines, multi task, resolve conflicts and make high level decisions required.
• Ability to work night shift when required.
• Promote Health & Safety.
• Be process oriented.