VIA Rail is an organization that is going through a transformation, looking ahead. Our outstanding results and growth over the past two years have allowed us to begin thinking about how we want to position ourselves over the long term.
We have many projects on going and to come in our stations and maintenance centers across Canada to allow us to reach our 2025 Vision, that is “To be a smarter to move people”. With this in mind, we need to add a Junior PCO to our team to help us manage the multiple projects we have in Real Estate.
Under the management of the Senior Manager – Project Control Officers CAM (Capital Asset Management), Corporate Project Management Office (PMO), you will be mainly responsible of the financial portion (accruals, forecasts, budget) of the capital projects in real estate, in collaboration with different project managers. You will be responsible for initiating, planning, monitoring and controlling activities, and for closing projects to which you are assigned.
You will also play an advisory role with portfolio, program or project managers with respect to the application of management standards and methodologies, and to the use of templates and tools (Oracle, Microsoft EPM 2010/Project Online).
Your major contributions will be to:
• Follow-up and control all activities related to project financials (accruals, forecasts, budget, invoicing).
• Ensure the schedule is adhered to in terms of the monthly project financial management cycle (manage accruals and forecasts).
• Participate in project initiation activities: business plan development, financial justifications, plans, project timelines and budget.
• Collaborate with procurement and accounts payable teams for change orders and invoicing.
• Monitor and control activities related to project delivery: track and oversee the work plan (timeline, tasks, budget), progress reports, project log updates (approvals, outstanding items, change requests, decisions, risks, issues, resources, etc.) and support contract administration and invoice processing, in collaboration with procurement and account payable departments.
• Assess project progress and assist project managers and/or project portfolio managers in applying mitigation measures. In addition, you will help them with reporting.
Take part in project completion activities: archiving report, closure of outstanding issues and management of lessons learned.
• Advise project (or program) managers and members of project teams on the application of management standards and methodologies and the use of templates and tools. Occasionally participate in the quality assurance process for other projects, in coordination with the Project Management Office Director.
• Take charge of various Corporate Project Management Office (PMO) improvement initiatives.
• Bachelor's degree in administration, engineering or architecture, or in management combined with three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience as a project control officer in the real estate
• Good understanding of Microsoft Project / Enterprise Project Management (EPM) 2010 or Microsoft Project Online
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (MS Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio); proficiency in advanced Excel functions
• Knowledge of document management best practices and familiarity with SharePoint
• Knowledge of project cost management and familiarity with Oracle modules related to project cost management
• Communicate effectively (listening, tact)
• Planning skills and sense of priorities
• Problem-solving skills
• Ability to adapt to change and work both independently and in a team setting
• Organized, disciplined and structured
• Ability to work within tight deadlines
• Knowledge of PMBOK and other project management methodologies.