Job Title :
Instructional designer, Customer Experience (contract)
Reference Number :
Temporary - Full Time
Job Category :
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate :
67 379 - 84 224
Number of positions to be filled :
Application Deadline :
At VIA Rail Canada, our mission is to reimagine the Canadian journey by creating smarter ways to travel. VIA Rail is a major Canadian player in the transport industry and strongly believes that travel should be an easy, sustainable and enjoyable experience that meets the individual needs and preferences of today’s and tomorrow’s passengers. In the spirit of transformation, our values of innovation, trust and agility are even more important and guide all our actions.
VIA Rail strives to constantly outdo ourselves as we create a safe and unique travel experience across Canada. Initiatives born from our new strategies have created a need for additional knowledge and training for all our employees who are in frequent contact with our passengers. To fill this need, we are investing in and overhauling the approaches used in our learning and development centre to support the transformation goals that go along with our new mission.
We are currently seeking an instructional designer for a 12-month contract to modernize content and approaches for training programs geared toward staff working in our stations, on board our trains and in our customer contact centres. Working with subject matter experts, internal clients and other important operational stakeholders, you will be in charge of designing, developing and/or retooling programs using effective delivery techniques and technology and with a focus on attaining our goals for constant improvement of the customer experience.
You will report to the Senior Advisor, Learning and Development. Your mandate includes the following exciting challenges:
• CONDUCT DETAILED ANALYSIS: Quickly identify opportunities and areas for improvement in customer experience delivery and existing training materials designated for modernisation.
• UPDATE PROGRAMS: Modernize delivery strategies and draft training plans that incorporate best practices in their content, approach, facilitation techniques, choice of tools, etc. with a goal of improving program effectiveness and in line with the VIA’s operational realities.
• CREATE CONTENT: Facilitate understanding and information retention by creating simple, engaging and relevant content for both documents intended for learners and tools and guides used by trainers.
• UPDATE TOOLS: In accordance with the training plan, select the appropriate digital formats for delivering learning concepts and develop and/or supervise the creation of videos, questionnaires, interactive tools, etc.
• ASSIST WITH IMPLEMENTATION: Pilot the effectiveness of programs in trial runs to assess whether learning goals are met, make adjustments as needed and transfer knowledge to trainers for each program that has been updated or developed.
• Bachelor’s degree in adult education or andragogy, or equivalent experience.
• Six years of relevant experience, including a minimum three years of experience in design (ideally related to customer experience).
• One to two years of experience with digital formats and good knowledge of development tools (Articulate, Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, etc.), an asset.
• Excellent knowledge of adult learning principles and the ADDIE model.
• Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and building projects in changing environments.
• Proficiency with the MS Office suite.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French.
• Availability to travel occasionally.
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.