Job Title :
Advisor, Payroll System Analyst
Reference Number :
Permanent - Full time
Job Category :
Finance and Accounting
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate :
68 390 - 85 488
Number of positions to be filled :
Application Deadline :
Reporting to the Chief Payroll and Shared Services Officer, Accounting Operations, the Advisor, Payroll System Analyst is in charge of interfacing with the VIA360 time management system, which compiles employee time spent on board trains.
The analyst will ensure that data transferred to the VIP payroll system is accurate, and they will be in charge of addressing issues and making necessary improvements to systems or manual corrections to ensure that employee pay is accurate.
They will analyze systems, identify issues, propose solutions to rare and complex problems and ensure that necessary training and communication is provided in order to implement the desired changes.
They will conduct multiple analyses of the company’s wage expenditures and other issues related to processing payroll system data and will propose effective and simple solutions.
They will offer support to payroll and shared services analysts and to the Chief Payroll Officer by periodically assisting them with prioritizing operational tasks and managing affairs.
They will play a key role in coordinating operations between the Crew Management Office (CMO) and payroll teams and in overseeing the time and payroll management systems.
They will produce and analyze manual scheduling entry reports and handle any major issues. They will also act as a resource person for all questions related to the payroll systems.
Supervision of procedures and the VIA360 payroll system (management of time employees spend on board trains).
• Analyze systems to identify issues, recommend solutions to complex problems and optimize the system
• Forward issues related to applying new policies to a higher decision-making authority when necessary, document these issues and help draft relevant change management plans
• Create, carry out and document tests and inspections regarding changes made to the VIA360 system in collaboration with the CMO team
• Manage the implementation and integration of improvements and tests related to projects and procedures for the VIP payroll system and the effects on how VIA360 and VIP interface
• Create, manage and test payroll rules related to the work schedules created by the CMO team
• Interpret issues and assess potential impacts on the CMO and payroll teams
• Assess the level of risk for improvement options
• Establish a procedure for coordinating between the CMO and payroll teams on activities that improve the VIA360 system
• Make necessary adjustments using the system interface when data is transferred from VIA360 to VIP and document these adjustments in order to answer auditor questions at a later date
• Create suitable change management plans
• Identify and make suggestions to achieve goals
• Clearly establish the responsibilities of members of the CMO and payroll teams
• Encourage collaboration between members of the various teams
Training plans and documentation
• Draft and develop training plans and documentation for the VIA360 and VIP systems, both for payroll and for Shared services staff forms
• Propose change management initiatives and ensure training and coaching for payroll managers and unionized staff
• Manage and document process reviews and VIA360 and VIP system procedures
• Conduct a detailed analysis of manual corrections made in VIP after data is transferred from the VIA360 system
• Identify and address the main difficulties caused by time adjustment requests and propose solutions to minimize these issues and reach a decision on how to change the process
• Analyze the impact of changes to collective agreements and suggest simple alternatives
• Analyze decisions related to grievance procedures and provide systems with instructions on how to comply with settlements in regard to payroll
• Oversee analyses of wage expenditures (the company’s largest expense) and analyses measuring the impact of potential changes to payroll
• Analyze monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations, identify issues and establish procedures needed to address the problems
• Act as a resource person by offering support to the CMO
• Act as a resource person by offering support to payroll analysts
• Assist the Chief Payroll Officer in prioritizing problem-solving tasks so that pay is issued on time
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration
• Good knowledge of general accounting and year-end accounting processes
• Minimum of six years of experience in systems management and operational activities, or process prioritization and review for accounting operations
• Training with certification from the Canadian Payroll Association and knowledge of the Canada Labour Code are significant assets
• Three years of experience in a role supporting the development of employees or resource persons (a combination of equivalent education and experience would be considered)
• Very good knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint) and aptitude for systems related to accounting operations
• Knowledge of the VIP (DLGL) payroll system and HR is a significant asset
• Experience applying collective agreements is a significant asset
• Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills, has a highly developed analytical sense for applying collective agreements and plays a key role in change management
• Demonstrates an ability for making decisions and proposing solutions to complex problems
• Demonstrates flexibility and strong, proven skills in process improvement and quality control
• Has excellent oral and written communication skills, in both official languages
• Works well under pressure and in changing environments
• Shows an interest in human resources management and operational activities management
• Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency
• Demonstrates an ability for rapid self-organization and shows flexibility
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.