VIA Rail is an organization that is going through a transformation, looking ahead. Our outstanding results and growth over the past two years have allowed us to begin thinking about how we want to position ourselves over the long term. We have many projects ongoing and to come in order to reach our 2025 Vision, which is “To be a smarter way to move people”. Projects such as the fleet renewal, new reservation system, upgrades in our maintenance centers and stations, to name only a few. In this context, we need an additional resource at the Corporate PMO that will have the responsibility, amongst other things, to optimize 2 important processes: project prioritization and benefits management.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Project Management Office, Advisor, Corporate PMO will be responsible for managing and delivering project portfolio management activities related to IT and Capital Assets Management projects (rolling stock, railway infrastructure and real-estate). The incumbent is responsible for ensuring process optimization (prioritization, benefits management), support program implementation and roll-out, while also ensuring effective intra-departmental support in terms of scheduling & methodology across the department. This person works closely as a shared resource to the Senior PCOs and the Specialist, Processes and Methods, while additionally acting as the right hand support to the Director, Corporate Project Management Office.
Project Portfolio Metrics preparation for Board of Directors:
• Ensure the timely and effective collection/consolidation of quarterly project and program status reports. Design effective, well written Dashboard reporting that help stakeholders identify areas of attention and exceptions.
• Collect and analyze KPI’s and metrics; analyse and integrate the information into meaningful reports (KPI's, Dashboard) that improve the overall operations of the division. Adapt quickly to multiple changing work demands. Coordinate the creation and assembly of board of director reports and project portfolio metrics.
Project Portfolio Prioritization Process:
• Administer the VIA Rail project portfolio prioritization process and continuously improve it. Work in collaboration with all departments (finances, portfolio directors) to prepare the documentation that will support the prioritization activities.
• Work in collaboration with the Specialist, Processes and Methods, to develop a new process to measure project benefits, implement and deploy all phases including: Assessment, Planning, Execution and Harvest.
Other support tasks:
• Coordinate the continuous improvement initiative activities, and be the sponsor for one team.
• Coordinate and prepare the quarterly PM Newsletter, in collaboration with the team.
• Prepare agenda and coordinate PMO Monthly meetings.
• You have a bachelor's degree in information systems management, engineering, or administration. Master degree in project management is an asset.
• 5-7 years of experience in project portfolio management e.g. project governance, EPM analytics, dashboards, trend analysis, KPI’s and EPM tools; A combination of education and relevant experience may be considered.
• Demonstrated expertise in the design of business processes, solutions and systems, as well as in change management.
• Demonstrated hands-on knowledge of systems development and project management tools and methodologies such as Microsoft SharePoint, EPM2010, Project Online.
• Knowledge of Agile values and the SCRUM methodology is an asset.
• PMP Certification is an asset.
Skills and abilities:
• Planning and organization of your work.
• Strong communication skills.
• Disciplined, focused on quality, team player contributing to the success of projects with other knowledge workers.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships within the team and with clients.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage parallel activities as part of multiple activities
• Creativity and resourcefulness in solving problems; demonstrated customer orientation.
• Good with numbers; strong analytical skills.